Saturday, July 2, 2011

Down Memory Lane

Today, my old and frail mum is happy like a lark after asking me again the time my sister would be arriving tomorrow. I have just one older sister who was quite a well known model bimbo in Penang during her younger hey days for her natural Pan-Asian looks and sexy low-cuts dressing that would send all the horny old men ogling inside the popular Cinta Discotheque at Rasa Sayang Hotel. She has remarried and currently lives comfortably in the outskirts of Greater London with her Swedish hubby & kid. I have not visited her fabulous home yet and she has been proudly sending me satellite photos to brag about the length of her house's lawn which spans some 400 feet long with a natural river running across! Dei, that is really supposed to be an excellent Feng Shui for wealth to flow continuously. No wonder she is so bloody rich without any inheritance! So this pretty bimbo lass would be arriving from London at 2.40pm tomorrow.

My mum has happily booked and is paying for all of us to fly to Ha'adyai next week for a long awaited reunion for over 10 fellas. It has been over 2 decades since we made a visit there as a whole family. My playmate cousin who has inherited his father's hotel in Ha'adyai has kindly invited us to put up for fre
e! We have been staying in this hotel for free since I was a small kid and it has recently been refurbish all over again to upgrade it to 5 Star eventually. I am having real butterflies and mixed feelings about the trip down memory lane because so many dramatic things had happened since I left my last footprints 10 years ago.

Both my sister and brother had graduated from South Australia and Canada when we attended my late grandfather's funeral in Thailand many years ago. It was a sad period and the local radio was blaring whole day the funeral details of the passing of the Chief Police Officer. The news lurking inside the v
egetable market stalls became hotter when mum and her sister quarreled like kids over the wreaths of the funeral. Adding on, my 2 oldest male cousins fought and screamed over the many medals given by H.M The King to my grandpa. I just sat there and watched the soap dramas without grabbing my share of medals! The folks in that small town simply loved to gossip anything! In earlier years, I had smartly taken all the most valuable old antiques pieces that were some 100 years old from grandpa's shelves. I simply begged my old grandpa to just give me the heirlooms when I was still a school boy and he did as no one else was interested then! Heh, heh.. I might sell all these Ching Dynasty porcelain antiques someday or just donate them to the Museum.


I have much vivid memories of Songkhla as I was whisked there to greet my grandparents when I was barely 2 weeks old then. My growing up years was really kampung-like and it was boring like hell. I used to walk aimlessly along the nearby lakeside and Samila beach to fondle the golden mermaid's breasts!


The mermaid's breast is so shiny as thousands of tourists have fondled it! My DNA is definitely there too. I used to hear folk tales that the mermaid actually slipped off at night and swam into the sea everyday. She would return before dawn. I used to believe all these craps cos I was such a fucking stupid ass boy! LOL..

Take note there is a rat shaped island behind the mermaid and that's called "Rat Island" to the Thais. I have never been there and I don't like rats either.



My playground was on the hills overlooking the Tinsulanonda Bridge which connects to the highway leading to Bangkok. Did you know that "Soi Petchkasem" is the name of the longest road that starts from Bangkok till the South of Thailand?

There were no toys at home. Mosquito killing and fishing were strictly forbidden as my grandpa was a staunch Buddhist! Dei, how did I survive my childhood days? I often swam in flooded murky waters with neighbourhood kids and climbed the hills opposite our house to catch monkeys. We all drank untreated rain water at home and survived too. Come April 13 yearly, I would hose the passing cars and Thai folks with water during their annual Songkran Festival. In return some bitches would smear my face with white powder and iced water to numb my hands. It was truly fun and happiest time. There were no worries and everything was just Sabai, Sabai....



My grandpa was originally from Samutprakan in Bangkok where his family mined salt from the sea and that made him so saltish and stingy. His last CPO posting was in the South and he decided to retire in my grandma's native town in Songkhla where he preferred the laid back & peaceful lifestyle. Eventually, he bought a small wooden house on stilts nearby the Thalae Sap Songkhla which is the biggest natural lake in Thailand. He kept making extensions to his house and compound until when he passed away. By then, his house had transformed into a big concrete 2 storey house with 9 rooms on 1 acre of high gated land which was surrounded by many shophouses he had built. He had 4 maids and lived comfortably on his collected rents & pension. Next door to his house is the famous Wat Laemsai Temple where he often invited the monks over for lunch weekly. I played inside and outside that temple grounds all my life. Come next week, I will be back to the old house and playground once again.


This is the old photo taken outside the same temple where I played most evenings. Can you guess which brat is ME?

Sawasdee Kub!





39 comments:

  1. I bet your childhood is much more interesting than mine.




    so, happy holiday to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The middle one is you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arumugam you are not inviting Letchumi to fly from motherland to meetup with your sister?? she has always wanted to do that, as she wants to consult your sister how to win a man's heart - especially Arumugam's heart that is never by her side..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letchumi says இலக்கியங்கள் அவை எத்தகைய காலத்தைப் பிரதிபலிப்பதாக அமைந்தாலும் ஒரு சமூகத்தின் பண்பாட்டை பழக்கவழக்கங்களை எடுத்துக் காட்டுவதாகவே விளங்குகின்றன. இன்றைய இளந்தலைமுறையினர் இலக்கியங்களைக் தேடிப் படிப்பதன் மூலம் சமூகம்

    ReplyDelete
  5. what?? 400-foot long lawn at the backyard of their house in London?? wow, your brother in law must be a very rich man, Arumugam must bring Thambee to go there for free accommodation!! even setting up a camp at the lawn also good enough~~ hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, Arumugam and whole family (of course always minus the poor Letchumi, your mum's nice little daughter in law) going to Haadyai!! Thambee also long time never been to Haadyai already!! somemore got free accommodation dei, in 5-star hotel!! that is so cool~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, that little Mermaid!! Thambee has taken photos with her before.. but Thambee looked so ugly that time, it was more than 10 years ago, hahaha, maybe i shall share the photos next time.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. aiyoyo, of course Thambee knows which one in the photo is Arumugam!! that one in the middle, looks exactly like Arumugam now!! that was, errrr, how many decades ago, Anay?? haha, that time so popular with Miss Lala style of sunglasses ah?? wakakakakaka~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for dropping by to my blog the other day. i like to read your posts because they are very interesting and funny sometimes :D look forward to the post about your Ha'adyai trip. Have a good time with your family yeah ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. whoa. u didn't change much leh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The center baby mafia is the current taikor lah...the 'heng' cant run one haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That means you studied in Thailand before. Must be very fluent with Thai sup sup sui lah 'mai mi pan har'.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heard the Mermaid in Samila beach is bigger than in Copenhagen. Songkla and Haadyai would bring back happy and sad memories as Bananaz got relatives in Haadyai, Sadao and Betong. Quite a close relation from both my paternal and maternal side. Seldom been there now after the whole family of 5 perished in a car accident in Yala leaving one son, that's was a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooooo....so good looks run in your family, handsome? Ya...so sad when somebody dies and the surviving family members start squabbling over what's left behind. I don't want anything...unless the deceased, when still alive, had stated that something was to be given to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.S. Those antiques would be worth quite a lot now. You come from a well-to-do family obviously - lots of property to fight over. Which one was you? Dunno lah...all look the same. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My family have ntg to give when they die. LOL! =.= so prolly wun quarrel over properties.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is no mistaking you in the photo! No change!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi There, So glad to get home and back to blogging. We did have a fabulous trip--but home is pretty nice also!!!!!

    Enjoyed reading some of your childhood memories... Memories are so important ---and as we all look back at our parents and grandparents, we realize how much influence they had on OUR lives--in many ways, both good and bad.

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, it would definitely be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wish one day i can go there lo.. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  21. wat an amazing background u hv~@@!!!
    something like gong xin ji~~hahaha~kidding~~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good taste - grab those porcelain

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh! Didn't know you have a sister who was once a model!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wah! So rich one ah your sis? And your cousin too!! I guess you are just as rich? : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sell those porcelain antiques and donate the money to me !! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG! You fondled the mermaid's breast? How naughty... and desperate!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh! So you spent your childhood in Thailand? I see. So you can speak Thai fluently? : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmmm, looking at the photo, I think the one in the middle is you! Am I correct? : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. could I have yr email address? thanks

    ReplyDelete
  30. you must be from a very rich family too huh

    ReplyDelete
  31. i think the last time my whole family and relatives had a reunion was 15 years ago. That's the time that my grandpa celebrated his last birthday

    ReplyDelete
  32. hey i wanna see how shinny that mermaid's breast too LOL.. just kidding... but the myth is somehow really interesting..reminds me of the mermaid from Pirates of the Caribbean film (The Stranger Tides in particular)

    ReplyDelete
  33. so cute of the picture... photographs didn't just captured the images but also saved the memories
    happy blogging twilight

    ReplyDelete
  34. u're the middle entau ba! HAAHAHA

    so much fascinating tales in your family. a prestigious family summore. lucky u!!

    and why r there so many 'twilight man' under the porcelain vases? :p

    did u suckle on the mermaid's tities? LOL!!!

    i think i'd love to visit the rat island!

    and r u pan-asian since ur sis has pan-asian features!

    i oso seldom kill mozzies one.. like 5 in 5 years? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  35. thanks for sharing your memories with us. wow, your sis sounds smoking hot and has strong sex appeal. :) and her kid....mixed kacukan, must be very good looking.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Family reunions are great for chatting and catching up on all the latest family gossips. have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love your porcelain collections. they are timeless antiques and my mom won't even let me touch them.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Are you the one on left, the smaller one? hehe. suddenly i feel like crashing the party.

    ReplyDelete