Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Chinese New Year @ Penang

It has been over 2 years I have not been back to my hometown, Penang. I decided to bring my old parents to spend their time meeting friends and relatives. Owing to their old age and frail health, they may not have so many years more to visit the island.



I have visited China, Taiwan, Japan & Korea during the last 2 years. I realized that I did not miss my hometown and its food as most of my closest hometown friends live in KL and overseas today.




The trip home was rather stressful and very hectic for me to line up programmes for my parents to meet their long list of relatives and social friends. Nearly all 99% of their friends are in heavens now, so their new friends are mostly around my age or older. I am still learning to cope with the dementia issues that both my parents have. When they forgot something, they could just deny or simply point fingers at others!


 I was very surprised that wifey announced in Facebook that it was THE BEST trip to Penang!
ARRGGH!




I met up with the old beauty queen who flew back from London with her Mario boyfriend. She was the former Miss Malaysia who operates a posh hair saloon in the swanky hub of South Kensington. We had drinks at the newly opened "China House" cafe which is being operated using 2 long Chinatown shops joined at the backside. Everything remained old with antique furnitures. So ngam for old man like me!







We all laughed so much the whole night with me cracking all the stupidest jokes. They whole bunch of monkeys decided to stroll the narrow streets to smell the longkangs! I must say that the government of Penang has done a tremendously good job to clean up the streets as well as wiping out corruptions!




 We passed many wall murals along the streets in Chinatown and camwhored a bit.





The Cheah Kongsi house and temples look so majestic and nice at night. Wifey was so proud to pose outside her ancestral grounds!




I always love all old and quaint looking Chinese historical sites. I never got enough seeing the ancient sites in the rural areas in China.





Next month, I will be visiting Bangkok to attend an uncle's funeral and then, feasting at a wedding in Singapore before jetting off to Shanghai and Nanjing for more mountain hikes and temple visits! Yay!





 The streets looked eerie but safe! You can see how much the economy has grown with soaring property prices! These tiny narrow houses cost over 2-3 million ringgits! Crazy!







 The sights of these trishaws brightened my eyes! I used to love riding on them when I was a kid!






The roads are clean and brightly lighted up at night with many tourists taking strolls at every corners. It is pleasant to walk at night when it's cool.





Vrooom! Vrooom! The only time I carried wifey on a bike was during our trip to Phuket. I rented a bike and went ronda ronda under the rain. She was so happy and sang songs loudly all over the Phuket town.




 I might retire and live in Penang during my twilight years. Anyway, I am Twilight Man.


59 comments:

  1. GONG XI FA CAI Anay and Letchumi and family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gong Xi Fa Cai my Thambee SK! Hope you will HUAT this 2013!

      Delete
  2. very nice view from the place you were staying.. great seaview and sure it's good for health and mood looking out from the balcony every morning and evening..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yalah, very nice view. View from the Penthouse? :)

      Delete
    2. I have been staying in Penang for more than 4 years after coming out from Uni. I didn't find Penang nice until I see all the views at Anay's blog.

      Delete
    3. I think Penang is a nice island compared to many countries. Good place to retire!

      Delete
    4. Yes giid place to retire to. Its midern and yet retains the closeness between neighbour. Thevonly thing is whether can afford or not. Property price there is sky high.

      Delete
  3. former Miss Malaysia?? oh, who is the beauty?? maybe she is the reason why Letchumi claimed that was her BEST trip to Penang ever?? haha.. but i am sure there were more things that made her said so lah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Naughty SK, but I like.

      Delete
    2. Wakakaka...Silly Thambee. That old beauty queen is now enormous! She would kill me if she knows I blogged this.

      Delete
  4. have not been to Penang for such a long time, i guess more than 10 years!! love all those old streets and temples in the photo.. but seems like everyone going to Penang are looking for the murals at the Art Street, then do funny pose with the wall and post to FB only.. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been there. I must go and check at the art street one of these days.

      Delete
    2. I think the best time is to check it out at night time when it is cool without traffic at all.

      Delete
  5. Anay,
    Go jalan-jalan middle of night ah? Making a ruckus also while strolling? ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You so pandai! We woke many occupants up cos my London friend laughs like pontianak!

      Delete
    2. Tarak kena siram with pail of water ka? Lol

      Delete
  6. Anay is such a good son. Respect Anay & Letchumi a lot lah. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anay and Letchumi are very filial son and daughter in law. They will be blessed with many many good things now and forever.

      Delete
    2. I am sure all of you are also good to your own parents.

      Delete
  7. wow... the room where you at is so luxurious and I love the ambiance too... so relaxing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the panoramic view and sea breeze! So heavenly!

      Delete
  8. I have seen a lot of Malaysian Bloggers posting these wall paintings.. I find them really fascinating... is it an attraction spot in Malaysia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the least attractive thing to admire in Penang. They have many lovely mixture of historical buildings. The New York Times ranked that island as the 2nd TOP place to visit in the world.

      Delete
  9. nice to know that you had so much fun there.. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love all the unique views. Great that you are such a filial son. Yr parents surely appreciated your effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my parents are happy with me! You are even a better daughter for taking your mother to Europe!

      Delete
  11. finally an updates ! i like Penang too ! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Penang! Wish it isn't so jammed, so very busy - the beauty of its heritage is lost in the horrendous hustle and bustle. I prefer the old laid-back Penang of the 70's. Plus...the people could be a lot more friendlier at quite a number of places there. Tsk! Tsk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! The traffic jam is horrendous with rude drivers and motorcyclists! I prefer the present Penang la! It was so boring during the 70s.

      Delete
  13. You're the first person I know that have cam-whored at night with those murals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!!

      Everyone posted their murals photos taken during broad daylight, but annay's are all night photos~

      But frankly, those wall murals look kinda scary under the street light.

      Delete
    2. As usual, Anay likes to scare us.

      Delete
    3. Me scared you all? Muahahahaha... It was not planned and I was pleased to discover that nightfall is the best hour to camwhore with no heat and traffic din.

      Delete
  14. Nice calm sea from the hotel's balcony. Always love to see the sea. Used to work in a very nice office at Wisma Manilal now has changed name with full sea view from my room and later at Sheraton Office block in 90's, partial sea view and Komtar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hotel? What hotel? So you were a Penang seasoned visitor. It would be nice to retire there.

      Delete
  15. Stressful with traffic during CNY and coping with parents demand and forgetfulness could be putting your patience to max test. Yeah you did your best as not many parents have that many 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah my parents' days are like the clock ticking away. Hope they live for another 10 years.

      Delete
  16. How come the streets are empty probably at twilight time all gone to sleep already?. The roads are nice and clean. So getting ready for more mountain climbing next month. Happy hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! It was midnight and all the owls were hooting on the trees! LOL

      Delete
  17. oohhh...I never walked the quiet streets at night before... i only go cari makan makan.. next time I better go see all these authentic places.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit all the exotic mansions that have become museums! Lovely!

      Delete
  18. That China House cafe reminds me of my dad's old office. He used to work in Penang (while the rest of us stayed in Taiping) donkey years ago and we would visited his office once a year.

    The interior was the same like this cafe, long-long, narrow shoplot with a roofless spot in the middle of the building. I feared the stairs the most. They looked insecure and might collapse anytime!

    My dad's office was in Victoria Street :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really gave me goose bumps! I told you that it was really along Victoria Street!!! It was an end lot! Was it your papa's office trading in Victoria Secrets? Muahahahahaha

      Delete
  19. You are such a filial son, TM! I hope mine will grows up like you and remembers his old mother in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a good DIL, but I want my hubb to be filial to both his parents. We must take care of the elderly because they have spent their first part of their life nurturing us. It's our turn to repay them :)

      Delete
    2. I tell you my mother's secret! She pandai to psycho her children about how much sacrifices she madee and reminded us to take care of them. She planted the seed inside my head the most! LOL

      Delete
  20. Penang is food heaven, and now the government has improved it so much better. I must make a holiday trip there with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All skinny people should live in Penang and they will get FAT!

      Delete
  21. "Next month, I will be visiting Bangkok to attend an uncle's funeral"?? the funeral is planned?? OMG!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thambee you will get a big shock to know that my uncle died in 2011 in Bangkok. I have blogged about it before. Read this http://twilightzone518.blogspot.com/2011/07/holiday-funeral.html

      Delete
  22. Loving all the photos you have captured in Penang. Looking & admiring at one by one.

    Happy CNY to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Didn't know penang is do beautiful. Nice to see from your perspective. Usually go penang is msksn aje..lol..never really stroll ariund at night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thijk for each person the place they grow up is yhe most beautiful place in their heart no matter where they go. Coz that place contains all the happy memory of their childhood

      Delete
  24. Its really an amazing travel destination for students so as to consider that they can study and travel and get stressed out at such a place like Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its really an amazing travel destination where you can wipe out all your stress and enjoy this beautiful place..

    ReplyDelete

My Christmas Wish

It is 16 days to Christmas! Have you made your wishes for Santa Claus to deliver your goodies? Every Christmas, I only have one wish for Wo...