Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Yongling Mausoleum @ Chengdu - China

I still rate myself as a "Hopeless Blogger" who often overlooked in updating my own posts until some kind bloggers would kick my ass to start moving. I can never blog and post at their mighty speed! At least I am a good supporter and busybody who would pry into almost all blogs daily. Pat my head!
I love to read blogs more than unreliable newspapers. These days I only trust their Obituary Ads in newspapers.

I checked my photos and got a little shock that I could still post another 2-3 topics about my recent visit to Chengdu in China besides the recent visit to see the local Cosplay @ KLCC, Penang Trip and also the crazy MATTA Fair.



Now I will be sharing about this visit to another royal tomb of Emperor Wang Jian (Year 847-918) who ruled during the ancient Shu Dynasty. This royal tomb is the only Emperor's Tomb that was built in China, above the ground and accessible from the road. All the others were buried many storeys below the ground level and topped up with huge clumps of hills above. They often closed the tombs and filled up with poisonous mercury to prevent grave robbers.




The burial grounds of Yongling Mausoleum are neatly and beautifully landscaped within a huge plot of land in the heart of Chengdu's city. They would always line stone carvings along the paths leading to the royal tomb.



 I saw huge horses and heavenly lions that stood majestically and guarded the Emperor's tomb.




 Even several famous scholars were included and lined the paths too.




Honestly, I always felt a bit scared and chilly to visit the royal tombs in China. Those places were often so dead quiet that you could hear mosquitoes sucking & slurping your blood! I had goose bumps all the time and my bladder would suddenly become full.




No photography was allowed but someone posted this in their website, so it's not mine! You could see that inside the mausoleum has 3 tiers before reaching the raised lighted platform where the Emperor's coffin was supposed to be. The heinous grave robbers had robbed this place several times over the years. I was feeling scared inside, looking around the granite stone carvings and carefully walked along the narrow spaces. Suddenly I reached the back of the coffin's area and saw an empty throne chair on the platform. My hair stood upright and my legs were trembling like punctured rubber tubes! What was that chair for? I had wild thoughts and quickly ran out in cold sweats! Muahahahaha I was so sissy!



I quickly exited from the royal tomb to get fresh air and saw many elderly folks practising Tai Chi, Wushu and modern dances in the bitter cold winter! They looked stronger than me to withstand the cold.



I saw some panel photos on their fences that showed some of the Emperor Wang Jian's personal precious jewels being exhibited at the Sichuan Museum!



Voila! 
We jumped into a passing cab and headed to the Chengdu's Sichuan Museum which has similar layout with the museum in Shanghai. 



I was glad that I found the Emperor's Jade Belt on display!



......



36 comments:

  1. Hey there!

    Hopeless blogger? Hmm I don't think so la! I am sure you will find time to blog about the China trip ;)

    This place looks interesting, those statues are very unique! And Tai Chi is pretty common there right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, i guess you are too busy to post ! I was like that too but I try to write some posts in advance so that I won't forget or simply upload the photos first. China really preserved their history well. This mausoleum is so so long ago! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these photos are GORGEOUS!! i am deathly in love with gardens and courtyards.. i think i'd really need to pay a visit to chengdu now thanks to your posts!

    pat your head indeed!!! freaked me out a little when i saw SIX comments awaiting approval.. i thought they were all spam! but thanks for making my night (: so happy to see that they were genuine comments (no one really bothers these days to leave comments, lol).

    btw, who's barbara cartland?? ahahaha. google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps: i could've sworn you left me another comment that had something about meditation in it but then i refreshed the page and now i can't find it in the moderation queue?? O__O very weird leh. what was the comment in full, sorry? X:

      Delete
  4. Recent? This was the time you went in December, right...or not too long ago? I remember you sent me a postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aikks, no more cough cough cough jor la? Your cough+sore throat ok liao? Previously you said your nostril was clogged like a dirty drain.. The gods heard your prayers and sent us rain liao for the past few days… Yay..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You chisin, why say yourself hopeless blogger.. You may not update your blog everyday with new posts, but when you post up something, sure bombastic one.. Eh, your blog is still active la.. Average maybe one post a week.. To me still ok.. Not to say 1 month also not even 1 post ma, kan?

      I also average one week maybe post about 2 times only.. Sometimes really nothing to write leh, takkan wana “kak ngang” post something for the sake of publishing it meh? I can’t bear to “kak ngang & cincai” post something which I myself cannot “pass through” la.. “jou mm dou” (cannot do)..

      Delete
    2. Anyway, ooohh, we are still in Chengdu now ahh? You will feel scared and chilly to enter the tombs meh? Thought you are used to it liao coz you visited many tombs and temples in Chengdu wor.. Eh this time didn’t see you posing with your trademark pose geh?

      Delete
    3. he was so scared until his bladder suddenly become full, you still want him to pose his trademark pose ah?? he cannot do big action lah, else the bladder will burst and he gotta return back to hotel for a new pair of pants, or just buy one short pants from the souvenirs shop there.. you know, those cheapskate material printed with "I LOVE CHINA" and landmarks of the place, and only last for a couple of wash?? :D

      Delete
    4. haha... ya! only last a couple of wash!!!!!! I experienced that...

      Delete
  6. Good morning TM, it's Thur, the weather now is hot, but dunno later will rain anot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Hopeless Blogger", no lah, then mine blog will be jialat blog, not much wording...

      Delete
    2. Did you join the elderly to practise tai chi?

      Delete
    3. Hopeless Blogger is someone who writes something that does not interest anyone and reads like the blogger themselves has no interest in writing! LOL

      Delete
    4. That said, everyone here is very good reader and commenter :)

      Delete
  7. why "Hopeless Blogger"?? don't compare yourself with others lah, just like you always say in other people's blog, you just blog how you like it!! you may not be updating your blog regularly (compared to active bloggers) but you are millions of times better than many who have been leaving their blogs aside for months or years, some even indefinitely (i wouldn't say they have stopped blogging).. and whenever you have new post, look there are so many readers who flock over to read your blog!! your page hits is always damn high lah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really really agree with Ah Boy

      Keep up the good work Anay!

      But please update more often. LOL

      Delete
  8. hmmm, interesting to know that this royal tomb of Emperor Wang Jian is the only Emperor's Tomb in China that was built above the ground and accessible from the road.. but i think this is not as scary as those others built underground right?? and i am very surprised Anay was cold-sweating when you went into the tomb.. maybe you just thought and imagined too much?? just treat it as some museum where you see artifacts lah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to go into the tomb. Would be an interesting experience right?

      Delete
  9. actually it would be a nice experience to be allowed to enter the tomb, and you can even see the coffin and the throne!! i guess all other royal tombs are prohibited but tourists can just linger outside the gardens or courtyard only huh?? with the beautiful landscaping and the nice trees and grass and flowers, i don't think i will feel like being in a tomb but just a garden.. you see?? the local can even have their daily activities in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so Anay quickly dragged Letchumy to leave the tomb and to go visit the Chengdu Sichuan Museum?? i bet Letchumy must be nagging about not having enough time to explore the tomb all the way from the tomb to the museum, haha!! so the next post will be about Chengdu Sichuan Museum?? Anay always have very good plot and planning for his post, the previous post will always show some "peek preview" of the next post.. good!! there is continuity and i like this, i must also learn to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha...I didn't know you were scared...

    ReplyDelete
  12. no wonder you always read orbituary ad only...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah! Anay so macabre read obituary ads ah?

      Delete
  13. Well done Anay!

    Pat pat Anay's head for finally updating his blog!

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the post Anay.

    I learn something again today. :-)

    By the way, at this rate bila the MATTA fair post coming? Next MATTA fair? *evil laugh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice post..I have yet to visit other places of China. I had only visited Beijing and Shenzhen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am surprised too to learn that the tomb is above ground.

    Any explanation tablet or signboard there why its not under a hill?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Means when go inside the tomb can see the coffin there?

    I would feel uneasy too.

    Maybe the chair /throne is for spirit to sit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My mom n granny generation quite pantang visiting burial places as they believe there are spirit lurking there. If that time bad luck, spirit can take over the body. So whn they travel they go scenic places and temples.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow the jade so deep green . People say jage greener the better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember I've to been to this place before, but I was wondering they're not allow to take picture, but then why still there're pictures online le?

    ReplyDelete
  21. The belt what colour ah? Look like white..white jade?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is it really so scary the place?

    ReplyDelete

Bad Wedding Etiquette

I just attended a wedding dinner of another colleague on Saturday night. It was held at a restaurant inside Goldhill Club. I didn't enj...