Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Sabai-Sabai Thai Dinner

My dearest wifey invited her closest & best friends to have dinner last night. She wanted to pamper them all with her culinary skills in cooking simple yet special Thai food. Let me gloat again that my late mum was the well known Grand Diva of Thai cooking amongst the local Thai Embassy circles, who had famously cooked for our late PM Tunku Abdul Rahman whenever he requested for one particular dish that was not available in any restaurants in Penang during his retirement years. Thankfully, my mum had taught my wife a bit of her cooking styles when she was still alive. 

The dinner menu was meticulously prepared for a total of 9 pax with 7 courses. Goodness, I was completely drained out of energy after all the guests had left at 12:30am! I had to crawl and limp myself to bed like a sick dog while my wife still had robust energy like a walking Red Bull bottle to tidy up & wash everything. What did I do??




 We went to wet market and supermarkets to buy all the ingredients
which spread over 2 days. I am always good with sharp knives & 
grocery after being trained from very young
to carry the basket to wet markets to buy vegetables & meat.
My mum had also trained me well to chop vegetables,
condiments and slice & carve fruits in accordance with the Thai
customary way.


Our Dinner Menu

1. Miang Kham Appetizer
2. Tom Yam Soup 
3. Fish Cake
4. Green Curry Chicken
5. Kerabu Mango Fried Fish
6. Fried Omelette
7. Mango With Sticky Glutinous Rice 
8. Chilled Thai Black Coffee





 I took out all the antique wares inherited from my late grandmother & mother.
The above dish is the popular Thailand's appetizer called Miang Kham
which took the longest time to prepare as I had to peel & chop them
all into tiny bit pieces. The toughest was to dig out the flesh of old coconuts!
The brass tray above belonged to my late grandmother which is easily
over 100 years old. The spoons are all made of shells inlaid
with Mother of Pearls.



 I also took out all the new glass wares including the brand
new unsed Bohemian crystal wares which we received during our
wedding 15 years ago. I decided to use them all while I still
could otherwise it would be a white elephant.
The above are the Fish Cakes and Mango Sticky Rice.




 The above photo was taken before the arrival of guests.
The dishes were not all laid out yet so you could see
the other dishes like Fried Omelette, Green Curry Chicken,
Kerabu Mango Fried Fish and Tom Yam Soup below.




 

 The dinner ended close to 10:00pm but the guests were
still happily chatting & laughing away with all the wraps of
Miang Kham leaves being stuffed into their mouths.
This addictive appetizer is similar to the local "Daun Sireh" culture
for folks to munch and gossip. My chilled Iced-Black
Coffee must have kept them wide awake till they decided to
take a leave after seeing this old man yawning away at 12:30am!
Ha Ha Ha!


***




41 comments:

  1. Liked the way you arranged these items… and interesting antique wares to serve food. Your wife’s energetic level really amazes and I am sure she’s happy cooking for others and that put her active working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was definitely ecstatic and very energetic when she could cook and pamper all her darling friends. If you visit me, I will ask her to cook for you too.

      Delete
  2. this was really an authentic Thai cuisine with antique wares from Thai! U can open a restaurant and train some chefs to cook authentic Thai food already with such great skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will consider this venture if I have the capital to open one! Wanna be my sponsor kah?

      Delete
  3. I love Thai Food! My favourites would be the green curry chicken and fried omelette. It sounds like a wonderful gathering, yes indeed food brings people together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that Green Curry Chicken is always more popular than Red Curry Chicken....
      It is true that good food brings happy people together.

      Delete
  4. Ah, so you are the expert when it comes to preparing Miang Kham. I used to eat Miang Kham when my teeth are still strong. Now I can't even chew the leaves and nuts properly, hahahaha. Your wife is such a wonder woman. You must make a Wonder Woman costume for her to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola!! You sound like an old grandma with shaky teeth. You must be kidding and pulling my legs again. I must look back all your food postings to see how you chewed your food. LOLOL

      Now my Wonder Woman wants to pump irons and achieve 6 pack abs!! I said NOOOOO WAY!

      Delete
  5. Wow, your 8-course dinner is very impressive....and you have some mad knife skills! ;) I'm very impressed with the rose you made with the tomato. This is an authentic Thai meal your wife made served on just-as-authentic tableware...your friends are a lucky lot to be invited to this sumptuous dinner. Your wife did all the cooking but you ended up to be the more tired one? Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we could have cooked better if my mum is still alive in the kitchen. LOL
      I would give my wifey a good pat for all the cooking well done to my expectation. I was tired because I was running all over the market and outdoor jungle to pluck fresh Daun Kedok to wrap the Miang Kham. Then got home to quickly peel, peel, peel and chop, chop, chop all the condiments. It was kinda tired on my shoulder and fingers.
      The tomato rose was easy for my wife. Next time I will demo my carving skills to try mango and cucumber roses too! Kena inspired by the Taiping Blogger Anzerinchee and Martha Stewart.

      Delete
  6. Your wife is a great cook...

    Ever consider , maybe with Phone Hong as she can cook and bake very well, setting up a food business?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how much I beg, pray and dream for her cookies, I won't ever get lah.
      So I better not think about setting up food business with PH this lifetime. Muahahaha

      Delete
  7. So so impressed with you wonderful Thai Menu and of course the food look so yummy.....and your antique wares are so beautiful too. Maybe you should invite all of us one day too! Your wife is truly SuperWoman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet and kind praises. So paiseh lah to invite Cooking Gurus like you to eat.

      Delete
  8. Wahhhh
    If I didn't read your post & just look at flowers, I'd thought you're dining at a posh restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Oh...sometimes you only tengok gambar in my blog posts?? HaHaHa
      I must put more sexy photos and less words in future. Kikikiki

      Delete
  9. Amboi sedapnya... your wifey must be good in cooking Thai food. The Miang Kham platter got the so authentic feel like in Kap Kap land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey we are very amateur in cooking when compared to yours.
      I am sure you can cook many Thai dishes too.
      I am waiting for you to open your bakery shop in KL someday.

      Delete
  10. Seven courses for 9 pax - your wife is Wonder Woman! The plating pun very nice like restoran punya. My God! the amount of chopping and slicing you had to do! I salute your wife. She is a very capable woman, so you no need to ask me for food lah. Wifey can whip up something even better than mine for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife has different cooking strengths compared to the creativity skills of yours. So you could bake and cook fabulously from all the recipes plucked from your own head. You are cleverly telling me not to hope for food from your kitchen kah? Hey, I am won't give up easily.

      #HopeForFood #PHsoupKitchen #MeHungry

      Delete
  11. ooo, i didn't know that about your mom, so it's good that you reiterated it! very impressive! :) i'm also very impressed with the spread prepared here ... it does look like part of a very magnificent feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I feel so paiseh as I didn't put in effort to snap better photos like you. All your wonderfulous foodie photos are like pages from French cuisine magazines.

      Delete
  12. The appetizer had the best plating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo! The food tasted better than the plating dei.

      Delete
  13. Hi! The dishes look very delicious. Your wife is a superwoman. How happy you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Thai food was delicious, making me the world's happiest!
      Do come and visit me in Kuala Lumpur.

      Delete
  14. Ayoyo ...what an impressive spread! Home-cooked food and best friends, for me this is a most heart-warming gathering. Lucky you to have picked up some culinary skills from your mom. I have lost touch with many of the things I learned from my Grandma through lack of practice and changing times. Your wife has amazing energy .. you do too. At least you lasted until past midnight ..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel the same that time has flown so fast and we just missed out all that we have learnt. Those precious lessons and memories need to be revived. I hope to cook more often and invite good company of friends.

      Delete
  15. I can only WAH!!! Hopefully one day will get to know you and Mrs more.. then can be invited for a dinner.. haha.. dreaming..

    Regards, Norick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh! I am sure you can cook much better food than us and invite me over.
      Boleh kah Norick??

      Delete
  16. Love the presentation & you certainly put in a lot of effort, Tan! I'm impressed! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. WoW! If you did not mention this is your wife entertaining her darling friends at home, I would have thought it is in some Thai Restaurant somewhere. Presentation 101%! Excuse me now, I have to pick up my jaw. It dropped to the ground after reading this post -.-

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first 'encounter' with Miang Kham was in Penang Yellow Light. The bozz taught me how to remember the name where by 'Miang Kham' in Hokkien means no need to cover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an impressive 7 course Thai style dinner! The food become more sumptuous when served with such a beautiful plates and containers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Thai food but would never thought of preparing it myself. The most I will do is to get a packet of premix paste from Big C and do my home cook green curry chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fulamak, your lovely wifey can cook up a storm. Thai food is my favorite la! She learned and cooked all these dishes for you la, Anay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mangoes sticky rice is my top top favorite.

      Delete

My Christmas Wish

It is 16 days to Christmas! Have you made your wishes for Santa Claus to deliver your goodies? Every Christmas, I only have one wish for Wo...