Tuesday, October 10, 2017

How Do Spirits Travel?

Last night, I was having dinner with several old school mates who met up with a visiting classmate from Singapore. We ate and chatted so much until it was time for the restaurant to close it shutter doors. I had so much spooky grandmother stories to tell and gave them all terrible goosebumps with their hair standing upright in cold sweats! I shared the incident where the other friend, Frank who was seated beside me, had attended an earlier funeral of another classmate Ivan. He died too young and Ivan's death really shocked everyone who knew him.

Ivan was enjoying a very successful & colourful career at the prime of his life working for the Nippon Paint and lived in a lavish home at Country Heights. That Friday afternoon, he went home to have his usual lunch as his office was just a few minutes drive away. After a quick lunch alone at his dining table, he walked over to his favourite deck chair to lie down in front of the TV. He dozed off into his sweet lumber dreams. It was supposed to be just a quickie lunch nap but his young son realised that Ivan was still taking his nap, way passed 4.00pm! He tapped his father's legs to wake him up but no response. He panicked and started shaking his father's lifeless body. Ivan had passed away during his afternoon nap. He was rather healthy and had no terminally ill sickness whatsoever. He was pronounced dead and his death certificate was issued with "Heart Failure" as the cause. News of his death went viral in our different group chats and many friends were too shock & squirmed with fear. It dawned upon them that death comes knocking at the door anytime without any warnings. We all encouraged each other to be happy and enjoy while we still can. Meanwhile, I was encouraging them instead to do prayers and clear our bad karma while we still could. My thinking is always at opposite ends.

The next day, Ivan's coffin was brought to the funeral parlour instead. I had no idea why his family did not hold the funeral at his own house which was very big and spacious enough. Moreover he did not die outside the house, which would often be the reasons the Chinese would often prefer the funerals to be conducted outside instead.

My friend Frank and I planned to pay our respects at the funeral parlour near the old airport. I am very familiar with that place and suggested to Frank that we should go during the daytime instead of night. I had made many visits there in the dead of night where the road was pitched in black darkness passing the many eerie tombstones before arriving at the big square of the funeral parlours. Many times I drove there with my eye balls locked & focused straight at the road and not wanting to see anything headless floating or waving at the side roads. My hands just froze at the steering wheel.

So I met up with Frank at the scheduled car park outside the square that holds many different funeral parlours. We both arrived punctually under the bright daylight & sunshine. The neatly lined funeral parlours were quite empty and vacant as I believed that many deceased must have been sent off at the morning's funeral processions. We both stood by our cars and looked at the directions of the few scattered funeral parlours which were still being occupied with the families of their deceased ones. Frank and I were unsure which parlour unit belonged to Ivan.

Suddenly, a huge green grasshopper flew from the skies above us and landed on the car with a loud thud. We both jolted up in disbelief with shocked faces as the cold gust of wind blew at my face. We knew instantly and felt that it could be someone's spirit taking a taxi ride on the green grasshopper. We were both in complete silence while looking scarily at the huge green grasshopper which had big alien eyes gazing back at both of us. It appeared as if he knew us well and wanted to utter something. I made eye contacts with Frank and signaled to him that we should start walking to find Ivan's parlour. We slowly moved away, inch by inch and still stole few glances at the big grasshopper that was still staring at me with its Darth Vader look. My slow steps became faster and I was sweating like waterfalls from my forehead. We both walked and hurried our way towards the nearest parlour to check whether Ivan's wake was being held there. The grasshopper made another big jump suddenly and flew over us which sent bloody chills into my spine to see it landing at a parlour located in the middle. We just ignored the grasshopper and made our way to see the photo on the altar of the first parlour. It wasn't Ivan's and we proceeded to walk to the next one. Again it wasn't Ivan's photo and then..... We were surprised that the green grasshopper was patiently waiting by the 3rd parlour's entrance. It perched on the square plastic table and looked at us sternly as if it was trying to attract our attention. We slowly walked up to the 3rd unit and there it was indeed Ivan's funeral parlour with his photo by the altar of his coffin. Both our hearts sank to the cement floor and we chose to believe that Ivan's soul was taking a ride of the grasshopper to welcome us right from the car park and tried to usher us till his funeral parlour.



Frank and I looked around the parlour which was still empty without visitors as we both were the first to arrive. We introduced ourselves to the family of 3 persons and offered our heartfelt condolence greetings. The minute we wanted to walk towards the altar to pay our respects, the green grasshopper jumped from the plastic table and flew across the room. It landed on the altar with a loud thud and perched there with its 2 eyes and antennae looking at us again. My whole body's hair from my head to my toes until my pubic areas and armpit hairs all stood right up and shook in terrible fear. Suddenly I felt so cold & pale like a dead fish walking towards the altar and lighted up the joss sticks. We bowed and bowed but heart was beating fast and mumbling "Ivan please go in peace. Please don't frighten me okay"..... We placed our joss sticks on the urn and decided to take a last look at Ivan's face since the coffin's lid was half opened for well wishers to see. As we slowly inched our way to the back of the altar where the coffin was placed, the green grasshopper made its final jump once again. It flew over us and landed on the yellow mantra's cloth that covered the semi closed coffin. That insect perched very closely to the opened lid and faced its scary head with 2 antennae towards us like a North Korean tank. OMG! OMG! Now we were both very absolutely sure that it was Ivan's soul without doubts. What was he trying to tell us? Was he sad that he had gone or was he thankful that we were the first old friends from Standard One who showed up?? So much thoughts ran across my mind until my brain wires wanted to exploded like a twitter being viewed by one million users. I was so weak and numbed with all the sudden thousand volts of electrifying chills and fear that enveloped me with the strong presence of the unseen spirits. We took a last look at Ivan's peaceful face and body lying inside his cushioned casket.

I mumbled in my heart - "I know it's you, Ivan riding on that grasshopper. Please rest in peace now and go to the Western Paradise. Good bye Ivan. Go!".......

When my story finished, my other comatose friends were all squirming in fear and pretended to show a brave face as we all knew Ivan very well since primary school days. They strongly felt as if Ivan's soul came to sit beside and listen. Our superstitious grandmothers often warned us not to talk about ghosts at night, didn't she? Niak Niak Niak.....!





We have often heard tales of departed souls coming back in the form of white or black butterflies to our houses. These myths are often true and not grandmother's hearsay superstitions which should be received with respect, in case the insects ferried our loved ones to our front porch. You might ask why they need to use insects with wings?? Most souls or unseen spirits come in formless shapes and sizes. Many spirits are as tiny as a grain of sand or small like 10 cent coins or maybe up to 4-5 feet height depending on their karmic situations. If they ride on the insects, they could pilot them and navigate their way up to your apartment's 10th floor or fly to your house faraway from his last burial place. I had seen butterflies that carried my beloved relatives or father-in-law to my front porch usually with messages relayed. So please don't stop to kill or even chase away the butterflies or grasshoppers that might be staying put on the high walls or ceilings for several hours or even days! Greet them, say a prayer or even chat with them in a calm and soothing manner. All's well will end well.




***



24 comments:

  1. do spirits travel on cochroaches as some cochroaches can fly? if yes, means we also cannot kill the cochroaches in our house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahahahaha! You always asked questions that tickled my ribs. Yes they could ride on cockroaches as taxis but I think butterflies are popular as they are colourful, odorless and often perched high up. If I were the spirit, I would never want to choose these cockroaches which are so ugly and smelly. Bluek! Moreover they cannot fly far except many transits and stops like an Emirates plane! I would prefer to fly on direct flights in Business Class from Singapore to London using SIA. Hihihihihi

      Yes we should not kill any insects, big or small unless you know how to chant the Amitabha's Ferry Mantra.

      Delete
    2. Hi TM,

      I wanted to ask about lipas too.. guess someone is faster =)

      Briefly after glancing this post of yours, I encountered a lipas in the kids room.. I would usually ermm kill.. but the lipas moved so slow.. so i shoo it away.. out of my sight..
      If is a butterfly or other insect, i would certainly not harm them.
      Also one morning, while looking at one of my house plants.. i saw leaves with insect feed mark.. so i get closer.. and suprise to see 2 small grasshoppers looking at me.. I just smile at them not to worry haha..
      And another insect was a praying mantis.. it sat on my car side window and didnt want to leave... he/she hold on tight to the side window as i drove about 5km and parked under a tree.. i even used the passenger door to get out..but lucky after a while it left, maybe to the tree..
      Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.. so i can relate my insect stories.. lol
      Regards, Norick

      Delete
  2. It is shocking that your late friend went in his sleep. It is a scary thought and a deep shock to the loved ones. I am also quite wary of going to funeral homes at night. Best to visit mornings or early afternoon. Yes, I have heard about the butterfly/moth visits but this grasshopper is new to me. And so eerie what you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my friend's sudden death was considered good as he went away painlessly & quickly after a good meal and TV program on his favourite deck chair. Just that he could not say good byes to his family. We all should not think that we will live to ripe old age after eating all the pies & ice creams in Europe before kicking the bucket. We should treat each day as if our last day and say "I Love You" to everyone.

      Are you going to bake some cakes for me??? Don't dilly dally as Time And Tide Waits For No Man......

      Delete
  3. I have been told by my mom that departed souls will come back in form of moth or other insects just like that you said. I always let them stay whenever I found them in my house because I know it might be my deceased father who want to visit his daughter, son in law and cucu :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be precise they don't come back as insects or moths but rather sitting on them like taxis or aeroplanes. That shows how tiny their soul had become. I read in many sutra books that souls could manifest into many different images and sizes too. That's why we were advised not to simply get excited when we see any spirits of Guan Yin Pusa or Buddhas. We need to chant their mantra names to be sure as something else could play tricks to manifest into them to fool the believers. We just need to be careful.

      Your father must be a loving man and missed you all very much. Hope that he had gone to the Western Paradise.

      Delete
  4. Talking about sudden death..recently there was a sudden death in my family too... my niece's husband just passed away while holidaying in Taiwan..only 41 years old and left behind wife and 3 young kids..very sad indeed.
    Like reading your spooky tales always have a humorous side with your story telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sorry to hear about your niece's husband. He was indeed too young to pass away like this. Everything happens for a reason and I hope that your niece will have the strengths to move on. Not easy to bring up the 3 kids by herself but luckily your large family is very helpful and supportive.

      Thank you for your kind comments. I always appreciate your presence here.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I've heard stories about the departed coming back in butterflies and moths but never grasshoppers. As I was reading this post and slowly scrolled down, I came upon part of the pic (the antenna of the grasshopper) but not the full pic, I thought you took a photo of the actual grasshopper and my hair stood on end as I scrolled down to reveal the full pic. Luckily, it was just a random grasshopper pic...but imagine you have snapped all the 5 places the grasshopper landed on, then this will make this post even more eerie! ;)

    I've never chased or killed butterflies or grasshoppers...butterflies are so pretty and grasshoppers (well, they're not so pretty but I geli, so I don't go near). Unfortunately, when my cat is outdoor, he loves chasing butterflies, grasshoppers, lizards, cockroaches and birds. The other day I found a grasshopper's headless body in my porch (must be the work of Cookie). Alamak, like that how? O_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be kidding me. I was trembling at the funeral parlour and if I managed to snap photos of that grasshopper "Ivan", what happens if it jumped onto my hands for my closer view?? I would instantly die of heart attack on the spot. Wakakaka

      All cats could really see spirits most of the time. Try to observe your Cookie who was lying down and suddenly looked up at the empty wall with its eyes following the movement & presence while you saw nothing! Sometimes they ran berserk and in panic as if being chased by spirits. I had a persian cat once with huge fluffy grey furs that actually scared many small spirits away. So your cookie killed many insects unintentionally and that added to its karma that needs to repay back in future. You should always do prayers for your cat or register its name many times with temples when they hold big prayer chantings. Cookie will have the chance to be reincarnated as a human being in future lives. My wife's pet dog from the past lives had reincarnated and now follows her like a dog again. I am not kidding. LOLOL

      Delete
    2. Hey, don't spook me out. Yes, I've seen Cookie in those situations you mentioned...his eyes fixated on something but it usually turns out to be an insect flying or walking past. P/S: The part on the headless grasshopper was meant to be funny and not taken seriously...kekeke! ;) All cats hunt (and run berserk sometimes), it's in their nature. Plus, I'm Catholic so no prayers in temples of any kind...for me or for my cat...lol! :D

      Delete
    3. I am pretty sure all cats could see the unseen visitors. Perhaps your house is very bright and free from these bad vibes, that's why your cat doesn't go berserk. Catholics do use holy smokes and blessed water to sprinkle. That one is good and should be done often for everyone's well being.

      Delete
  6. Just vehicle or the spirit itself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this case it is just for vehicle. Later on when it comes to karmic retributions, many had to be reincarnated into all types of worms, insects, animals and bacteria! How sad.

      Delete
  7. it's slightly scary reading this alone at night at home! hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like a happy yuppie living alone!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Strangely I don't feel eerie reading this post

      Delete
    2. I miss both my dad and mum too.

      My stories are not scary at all. I don't understand why you avoid reading these facts. When it comes to spooky tales, I was always stunned to see the high volume of silent readerships from overseas.

      Delete
  9. I'm alone downstairs at this hour. I don't want to read this yet. I'll come back tomorrow to read this and then comment again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, my posts are not scary at all.

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear about your friend, TM. May he rest in peace. I have heard of butterflies and moths carrying souls of the departed but not grasshoppers. This is new to me. My Grandma used to tell us kids that that grandpa is visiting if any popped by our home. Once, I tried having a conversation with it ...haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind wishes. I am sure my friend is resting in the Gardens of Eden where the Musang King trees are in abundance.

      It is good to chat with those butterflies and invite them to talk inside your dreams. That way they could better gain access to the family member's dreams to relay message.

      Delete

Hutan Lipur Rainforest @ Terengganu

HUTAN LIPUR LATA TEMBAKAH I made a trip to this famous rainforest & waterfalls at Hulu Besut in Terengganu. It is about 60...